After the Waterlox® TrueTone® Buff-In Tung Oil Finish has dried and cured for at least 7 days, cleaning may be performed.
Cleaning options are as follows:
- Waterlox® Cleaner Concentrate (following the directions on the label) for heavy-duty, large area cleaning
- Waterlox® Wood Surface Cleaner (spray) (following the directions on the label) for light-duty, everyday cleaning
- Warm water with a mild soap
- A mixture of 1-2 oz of white vinegar to 2 gallons of water and fill in spray bottles
Avoid ammonia-based or bleach-based cleaning products like Lysol®, Fantastik®, 409®, Windex® (ammonia and bleach-based products will soften the oil finish if used frequently).Maintenance Tips
- For small scratches not down to bare wood or into the color, clean the area well with regular mineral spirits (paint thinner), then simply rub Waterlox® TrueTone® Buff-In Tung Oil Finish into the scratch, wiping off any excess material surrounding that area. Two or more applications may be required to “fill” the scratch to the same film thickness as the surrounding area.
- For scratches down to bare wood, simply rub Waterlox® TrueTone® Color-Infused Stain color as the first coat and then build up with the Waterlox® TrueTone® Buff-In Tung Oil Finish.
- For larger damaged areas, lightly sand with 150-220 grit sandpaper to clean-up the area. For bare wood, wipe Waterlox® TrueTone® Color-Infused Tung Oil Stain into the area and wipe off the excess. Repeat the application with Waterlox® TrueTone® Buff-In Tung Oil Finish until the area has been restored. The area being repaired will be slightly higher in sheen than the surrounding area, this is normal. The gloss will dissipate and blend in with the surrounding area within 7-14 days.
- Avoid puddling of water for long periods of time; wipe up spills immediately.
- For bathrooms, do not let soap sit directly on the finish; wipe up excess soap immediately.